Learning how to write a policy and procedure manual is important if you want to produce a manual that everyone can understand and apply in their work. You can also consider hiring a manual writing service to work on your procedure manual if you want to have the peace of mind knowing that you’re going to get a professionally written manual for your business. If you choose the latter, you have come to the right place because our writing service is one of the best there is. For sure, you will love how your manual will turn out if you place your order with us.
Tips on How to Write a Policy and Procedure Manual
Policy and procedure manuals are formalized human resources documents that detail an organization’s rules and policies and the procedures required to follow those policies. These manuals on how to write a policy and procedure manual serve as a guide and reference tool for managers, supervisors and every staff of an organization. A policy and procedure manual has several purposes in a business with the major one being to document the principles and policies that control the business’ divisional practices.
While you can choose to undergo the hassle to write a policy and procedure manual for your company, you opt for the better option of hiring a manual writing service that consists of qualified teams of writers that are capable of developing a professionally written manual for your business. Here at manualwriting.net, we are a professional team of experienced manual writers, capable of delivering on any writing job and we will give you the best value for your money.
For those who want to learn how to write a procedure manual, here are a few tips you should consider:
- Think of the readers. A procedure manual should be written with the reader in mind. This means that you need to know what level your readers are, what department they belong to, and what rules and other pertinent information you want them to know.
- Be specific. Policy and procedure manuals should be written in a specific manner. Your sentences should convey accurate instructions that are short and straight to the point so as not to bore your readers.
- Choose an appropriate writing style. This is in line with the first tip. You need to identify who your readers are first so you can use the right type of writing style in building your procedures manual. This way, you are ensuring that everyone will easily understand what you are trying to say in your manual.
- Clean design. A good and clean design is much better than putting together a manual that is cluttered with images. Of course, this depends mostly on what type of manual you are writing but this is a good rule of thumb to keep in mind.
- Remember to review and edit regularly. If you are the one assigned to write a procedures manual then it is your responsibility to review as well as edit your manuals on a regular basis. This way, you can update as needed or make revisions.
7 Steps on Writing a Policy and Procedure Manual
Learning how to write a policy and procedure manual takes considerable time and effort, but you can improve your chances of attaining success with the manual by taking into account this following steps:
In learning how to write a procedures manual, you need to take into consideration the target audience of the manual. It’s important for you to know:
- The users’ level;
- The department of the users;
- The rules and other relevant information you want to convey to them.
You should focus on one concept at a time in order to avoid ambiguity. The instructions contained in the policy and procedure manual should be clear and concise, driving home your point without boring the users.
This tip is preceded by the first tip. In choosing the right writing style to employ in developing a policy and procedure manual, you have to, first of all, identify your target audience. This will enable the users to easily understand the instructions you are trying to convey in the manual.
While images are an effective way to transmit information, adding too much such that they clutter your manual can make it unattractive and confusing. It is always better to opt for a good and clean design, depending on the type of manual you are developing.
Create a table of contents for your policy and procedure manual in order to enable the users to easily access or locate a particular section of the manual.
Ensure you have carefully gone through the manual, reviewed and proofread before releasing it. In order to make this process more efficient and effective, invite both old and new employees to review the manual – who knows, you might have missed something.
In learning how to write a policy manual, you have to note that your job is not done after you are through writing the manual. You have to go back to the manual on a regular basis, review, edit and update it in case of any changes.
How to Write Policy Manual Effectively
Writing procedures and policy manuals shouldn’t be too difficult as long as you keep the tips mentioned above in mind. Just like when writing an instruction manual, it is important that you know who your target audience is because this will help guide you in building a comprehensive and concise manual for everyone. By going over your draft several times and letting other readers go over it for you, you will be able to make proper changes to your manual for the benefit of your readers. Of course, if you don’t have time to build a policy and procedure manual from scratch, another possible solution that you can use is to hire our manual writing services. Our company has been writing manuals for years now and we know how to put together a comprehensive manual that is unique for your business.
Choose Our Service
If you want to know how to write a policy and procedure manual, don’t hesitate to hire us. We guarantee that your manual will come out just the way you imagined and without you having to pay a high price for it.